UV coating vs. Matte finish
Posted by admin | Filed under Products
There seems to always be a lot of discussion and questions when choosing what type of finish for a business card or postcard. It’s a big decision! So I will help give you an unbiased opinion about the two most common finishes. I will not list them as pros and cons because what could be a con or pro to you could be the opposite for another.
- Glossy shinny finish
- Protects your card against finger prints
- Unable to write on with ball point pen
- Darkens the colors just a bit
- Helps protect the color when it runs off the edge
- Brighter colors
- Able to write on card with any pen or pencil
- Light shine/gloss
- May show fingerprint smudges with certain ink colors
- Great for postcard mailing on back
If you want the best of both worlds then you have 2 options. You could go with a Spot UV coating which allows you to select certain areas to have the UV coating or with a newer style called Silky finish. It is the in between of Matte finish and UV coating. It allows you to write on it with any pen but gives you that nice gloss finish but not UV. Unfortunately, this is where I do become biased. It’s one of our newest products and has become one of my favorites. Check out our silky business card with foil stamping.
Do you have anything else to add to this? We would love to hear from you.